Wednesday, September 18, 2013

iOS 7 - Advancing Photography for the Consumer

Holy Cow! Every year phone technology gets better. The apps, the call capabilities. Apple really struck one heck of a movement when it comes to really putting a lot of tools in the palm, literally the PALM of your hand! This has meant a lot of interesting things for industry professional. There are even "Photoshop" like apps that allow you to edit your photos and really create some compelling editing on the phone!

I was recently out with some friends who posed the question, "do you ever think that wedding photographers will become obsolete?" I really thought about it for a second and there are some great points to pay attention to here. You have a camera on your iPhone that can take 8MP photos and for most people who are posting just to their Facebook or creating a smaller than 8x10 print, that is more than enough! I remember the days when the camera I used for weddings and headshots as a young professional Santa Clarita photographer was 8MP! On top of that, these photo editing applications make things extremely easy to edit photos! CRAZY!

I looked at my friends dead in the eye and said I honestly see where you are going with this, however I don’t believe that wedding photographers will ever be replaced. Why? Think about all that you are paying for. It takes more than a good camera to take a good photo and those skills are something that you will never be able to learn in a day. It takes years of experience to really hone the skills necessary to be able to adjust your camera settings just by looking at a scene in a split second. Or to see the light in a scene and know just how to reposition your subject to get that right lighting, and framing, and composition. Knowledge is really what is missed out on.

So in an ever changing world where technology is becoming easier and easier to use, photographers appear to be less and less needed, but the truth is, the experience that you receive from a true professional completely outweighs the benefits of a nice phone. And THAT experience is the exact same reason that you hire a Santa Clarita photographer for your wedding, and your anniversary, and your maternity photos, and your family photos, and your life events, because life is worth more than just a simple phone photo. Life memories are worth capturing in their BEST light. So let's Shed Light....


Sorry... I just had to say it... My verbal jargon was on a roll!!! Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment