Sunday, February 2, 2014

Photography 101 – Lenses

The Ultimate Debate – Zoom or Prime?

Back when I first started my photography business, one of the things that I started to do (and still do) is look at the work of other photographers. Sometimes, there is no greater inspiration when you are feeling completely uninspired as artists than to find your inspiration in others. One of the things that I found myself noticing more and more, and desiring more and more for my photography was certain degrees of depth of field. I LOVE it. I can’t seem to get enough! And there are photographers that utilize this tool so well and organically, it inspires me like no other.  


Alongside this particular type of photography is the process or way to accomplish it. I found that with my current lens set up, I wasn’t able to do this to the extent that I would have liked. So I sought out answers. Now I am going to do my best to make this post as unbiased as I can. :)  

When it comes to what lens do you get, I’m going to give you the generic answer of “whichever one works best for you!” In this instance, I think that it really runs true. If you are constantly shooting in situations where you need to switch focal lengths at a moment’s notice, I would highly recommend getting a zoom lens like the Canon 24-70mm F/2.8. If you are shooting projects where you have a little more time in between shots, I would highly recommend utilizing prime lenses.  

For me personally, I have found my style of photography to be moving more towards prime lenses. I just love the film bokeh that you can get with them as well as the quality of photos that they produce. Although I do carry my zoom lenses for a variety of reasons, I still prefer to shoot with my primes.  
What type of lens do you prefer and why?  

-J

No comments :

Post a Comment