Thursday, January 1, 2015

5 Things I Learned In 2014

With the year 2014 coming to a close, I always find it interesting to do a little self reflection and see the different ways that I have grown both personally and professionally. For example, my discovery of Cafe Rio was a huge growth marker for me getting out of my Chipotle phase! :) There are always things that I find I have learned, things that I could have done better as well as things I felt I did well. 2014 marked a big milestone in that I became a father. It has been one heck of a ride so far, but I wouldn't trade that for anything. I am extremely blessed in my life to be able to have the blessings that I have. With all that being said, through my reflection, I found 5 things that I learned in 2014 that I want to take with me to make 2015 the best year yet. As I strive to become the best version of myself, as Matthew Kelly puts it, in all areas of my life, I have no doubt that these items will play a huge part in that goal.


Relationships are more important than Revenue

Being a young entrepreneur and business professional in today's working world, especially in the USA or consumer central, it can be extremely difficult to focus on the right things in life because you are so bogged down with the materialistic world around you. You can get caught up with I need to be in a house at this point in my life, or he got a new car so I need that, and your goal and focus of your professional career is focused on making decisions that are going to help you achieve the goal of Revenue. As I had that as the focus of my year professionally, I ignored all of the blessings that I already had as well as all of the ways God is already providing for me. This also made other areas of my life suffer, such as having solid relationships with co-workers and friends. My thought process was "if the time I invest into this area is not going to result in financial gain, why invest time there?"

Through a bit of reading and growing professionally, I got whacked on the head with a 2x4 that knocked sense into me. Relationships are more important than Revenue. No matter what. Simple right? And the crazy part is, when you invest into relationships, you may not see short term financial gain, but you see long term success both professionally and personally. You gain a friend on the personal level and professionally, word of mouth spreads through their circles. 



Give people the benefit of the doubt

In a day and age when everyone's word is worth a dime a dozen and people seem to no longer stand on principalities, it is easy to fall into a trap of not trusting anyone.
Stop it.
Give your family and co-worker's the benefit of the doubt. Trust that they are looking out for you and your interests when they tell you they are. Don't be so quick to shoot down their ideas if they are in an area you are not an expert in. We all can learn something from everyone. By opening up our hearts and minds to those around us, we will become a more loving and trusting people.

Don't Let Life Get In The Way Of Life

This is a huge one. Our life consists of everything that we put in it. Some call it busyness, others call it plans, but whatever you call it, don't let it get in the way of your life. If you want to travel, what are you waiting for? If you have been dreaming to learn Italian, do it! Years ago, I came up with a motto that I wanted to live by and as I get older, "Life" can get in the way of that. My motto is, "I don't ever want to wake up when I'm 80 saying, 'Man, I wish I would have done that.'" Stop making excuses, focus on what matters and live life the way it was meant to be lived.


Stop Complaining. Create Solutions.

I was extremely guilty of this in 2014. I saw an issue, and all I did was curl up in my shell and complain. I would complain to others as well but never really confronted the issue in front of me. Professionally, this was a death trap to fall into. I have come to the realization that I am a plan maker. You know the person in the group who makes the plans for us this weekend? That was me. But last year, I lost sight of that, and I think that this is something that everyone relates to. Rather than waiting for your friend to make the plans who never historically has made them, just pick up the phone and call! Your co-worker ain't making time for that project you wanted help on? Stop complaining and find a solution. Let's make 2015 the year for less complacency and more thriving. 

Don't Limit Your Capabilities

You are capable of more than you think. Period. This past year I noticed that I slipped into a pattern of complacency or minimalism: doing just what I needed to get the job done. What did this do? It didn't provide the kind of experience that I want to give my clients. This is such an easy thing to fall into. The solution? Take action. You are capable of more than you know, and you will never fully realize it until you push your limits and test your boundaries. 



So here is to 2015! Make it great, make it more than you could have ever hoped for. Strive to become the best version of yourself and move yourself from Good to GREAT. Be the change you want to see. 

No comments :

Post a Comment